Frequently Asked Questions

Honorary consuls are not professional diplomats, i.e., they do not make a living as diplomats. They usually do live and work as well as pay taxes in the country where they operate while they do represent their native country on a voluntary/not-salaried/ basis until their appointments are revoked.

The regular Hungarian Citizenship procedure applies for people who's parent or grandparent is (was) a Hungarian citizen.

The procedure of Simplified Naturalization was set up for people who belonging to the ethnic Hungarian community who live outside of Hungary and wish to apply for Hungarian citizenship.

Magyar útlevelet csak a biometrikus készülékkel es rendszerrel ellátott Magyar külkepviseleteken igy Kanadában csak az Ottawa-i nagykövetségen lehet előzetes megbeszélés szerint személyesen igényelni.

You may apply for the Hungarian passport only at the Hungarian missions equipped with the new biometric facilities; in Canada exclusively at the embassy in Ottawa. You need to arrange an appointment in advance since you need to be present in person so that your fingerprint can be taken. No need to bring any photos either since it will be taken at the embassy as well.

Technically, there is no such thing as the "EU" passport. What is commonly referred to as an "EU" passport is a passport from one of the European Union member states such as France or Germany which has the European Union symbol on it. As a descendant of a Hungarian parent and/or grandparent you may be eligible to apply for Hungarian citizenship then for the passport.

The Hungarian Passport cannot be extended. If it expires, it needs to be replaced by a new passport. Please note, a valid Hungarian ID, or Passport or Citizenship Certificate is a prerequisite of the Passport Application.

Applications for the Hungarian Passport and Hungarian Citizenship may be submitted at the same time. The general requirement for the Hungarian Passport application and Hungarian Citizenship application processed at the same time is that the applicant possesses either a valid Hungarian Citizenship Certificate or an up-to-date Hungarian Birth and other Civic Status Certificate.

Children below the age of twelve are not required to apply for the Hungarian Passport in person. (The Passport issued for children below 12 is non-biometric.) The passport application needs to be filled out, signed and mailed to a Hungarian Mission by the parents or legal representatives of the child.

Yes, all Hungarian Diplomatic Missions world-wide (Hungarian Embassies and Hungarian Consulates) are authorized to handle the passport applications.

A Notary Public is a state-appointed official who is authorized to authenticate certain legal documents, such as declarations, acknowledgments, deeds, mortgages, and other contracts. Swearing or signing in front of a Notary Public is better evidence that the document or contract was signed by that person.

Is a spouse or other family member acceptable to act as a witness? A. Generally the person you choose to witness a document should have no financial or other interest in an agreement. A neutral third party is the best choice.

The Honorary Consulate does not provide translation services on a regular basis; however, we do recommend the following translators in the Greater Vancouver, BC area.

No, as long as your stay is less than 90 days, upon request it can be extended.

Citizens of the U.S, Canada and Australia do not need a visa to enter Hungary. Since 2008 there is no visa requirement for Canadians and Hungarians to travel to their countries respectively.

Yes, and they must have a letter of invitation from the company they will be working for in Hungary. If a Canadian plans to travel to Hungary and look for work they must aquire a letter of invitation then leave Hungary and apply for the working VISA in a neighboring country (i.e., Vienna)

Tourist information on Hungary can be obtained from the following web address:

Yes, certainly. Please visit the website below for the list of the Hungarian institutions where subjects are taught in foreign (English) language.

No, as long as they have a valid Canadian driver's license.

The local currency of Hungary is the Forint (HUF). While some stores may accept Euros it is recommended that travelers should exchange foreign currencies into Forints when visiting Hungary.

Country code: +36

Budapest area code: 1

International calls from Hungary: 00 + country code + local number +

Domestic long distance calls: 06 + area code + local number

English is widely spoken in Budapest but not necessarily in the countryside. German is still used in the Western part of Hungary in particular.

220V; you may use a proper converter/travel pack.