Traveling with Pets (cats, dogs, or ferrets) to Europe and Hungary

The European Union (EU) has an EU wide regulation for traveling with pets (dogs, cats, or ferrets) to the EU. In case of traveling to Hungary, the general pet travel regulations apply.

The regulation requires that

  • the traveling pet is identifiable by an ID tattoo stemming from before July 1 2011, or by an electronic microchip (transponder). (The transponder has to meet the European ISO standard 11784. If the transponder does not meet the EU standard, the owner is responsible for providing a suitable microchip reader.)
  • the traveling pet possesses a VETERINARY CERTIFICATE issued by a Canadian veterinary

Additional stipulations:

The above rules apply only

  • for dogs, cats and ferrets
  • if there are no more than five pets with the traveler and the pet is intended to travel back to the departure country of the traveler
  • the pet is accompanied by the owner or by a person designated by the owner
  • the destination country is on the list of countries recognized by the EU as having a favorable rabies situation such as Canada, Mexico and the USA, Australia and New Zealand. (For the full list please refer to the List of Countries with Favorable Rabies Situation)

In every other case, please call the embassy of your destination country.

Further country specific regulations for traveling to Finland, Ireland, Malta and the UK

Dogs must be treated against the tapeworm Echinococcus as follows:

  • the treatment shall be administered by a veterinarian within a period of not more than 120 hours and not less than 24 hours before the time of scheduled entry into Finland, Ireland, Malta or the United Kingdom
  • the treatment shall be certified by the administering veterinarian in the relevant section of the passport


The main concern of the European pet regulations are the impediment of possible rabies contagion. See videos made by the EU Commission on rabies control.

EU Pet Passport

For pets living in the EU, the EU pet passport is required when traveling to another EU country . The passport is issued by vet offices. The pets have to be identified by microchip transponders that correspond to the passport of the given pet. Please note: traveling to Finland, Ireland, Malta or the United Kingdom requires treatment against the tapeworm Echinococcus (please see country specific rules for non-EU pets).